Masonic Foundation Of Ontario

"There are lots of young men and women we would love to have as students, the Nobel Prize winners, the Lasker Award winners of the future. It would be a sin if society is deprived of the fruits of their work down the road because those of us, today, who could have helped, didn't."
-- Michael Bloomberg

Programs
Donate Now!

Presidents of the Masonic Foundation of Ontario

Arthur Douglas Nichols (2009 -  )

Arthur Douglas NicholsArthur Douglas Nichols was born in Amherst, Nova Scotia, in 1943 and after a number of moves in Nova Scotia and Quebec, his family moved to Toronto where he completed his high school education.  He graduated from Mount Allison University in 1967 with a B.A. in Economics and Chemistry and qualified as a Chartered Accountant (CA) in 1970.  He completed the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-Depth Income Tax course in 1988, qualified as a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) in 1997 and as a Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) in 1999.  In 1991 the Council of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario elected him a Fellow of the Institute (FCA) in recognition of his distinguished service to the profession.

Except for the two years he spent as a chief financial officer of an architecture firm, Doug practiced as a chartered accountant in Toronto with two large international chartered accountant firms and his own firm.  For a number of years he taught Income tax courses at night school at Seneca College and was the co-ordinator responsible for the income tax course curriculum and examinations. 

He has always remained active in committee work of both the Ontario and Canadian Institutes of Chartered Accountants, having served as a member of Member Services and Professional Development Committees, Deputy Chair of the Professional Conduct Committee, Chair of the Professional Liability Insurance Committee, and Director and Chairman of the Board of AICA Services Inc., an insurance services company.  He presently serves as a Deputy Chair of the Discipline Committee.  In his community, Doug has always been active with various endeavours and in 2001 was presented with a Volunteer Recognition Award from the Province of Ontario in recognition of his voluntary services to his community.  He is involved with other volunteer initiatives in his new community of New Hamburg. 

Doug was initiated into Huron-Bruce Lodge No. 611, Toronto, in 1982 and became its Master in 1991.  He is a charter member of Millennium Lodge and an affiliated member of The Heritage Lodge No. 730 and New Dominion Lodge No. 205.  He was appointed a Grand Steward in 2000, and in 2009 appointed an Honorary Member of the Board of General Purposes of Grand Lodge.  He served as a Director of The Masonic Foundation of Ontario from 2001 - 2007, as a Vice-President from 2003 - 2007, and as Treasurer from 2007 - 2009.  He was re-elected to the Board of Directors at its Annual General Meeting in 2009.

 

Samuel Kalinowsky (2004-2009)

Ronald Kenneth Campbell (1999 - 2004)

Harvey Neil Britton (1996 - 1999)

Thomas John Arthur (1994 - 1996)

Wallace Edmond McLeod (1993 - 1994)

Alan Newton Newell (1992 - 1993)

Christopher John Woodburn (1990 - 1992)

Norval Richard Richards (1986 - 1990)

William Kirk Bailey (1974 - 1986)

Albert Clifford Ashforth (1968 - 1974)

Russell Williams Treleaven (1964 - 1968)

 

Samuel Kalinowsky (2004-2009)

Samuel Kalinowsky was born in Saskatchewn, the youngest of five boys to Polish émigré parents. After completing his high school education in Manitoba, he attended the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg (B.Sc. 1962), Queen’s University in Kingston (M.Sc. 1966) and PhD (Medical Sciences) in 1970. 

He worked for the Federal Government of Canada for 27 years in a variety of capacities: National Health and Welfare, Treasury Board of Canada and Foreign Affairs, serving for 3 years as Canadian Trade Commissioner in Port of Spain, with accreditation to 13 small countries in the West Indies . He retired from the Federal Government in 1995 as the Director of Industry, Science and Regional Development and immediately entered the private sector, running an export-import company(Connections Canada Traders Ltd.), opening and operating a sports bar in Ottawa (Traders on Tap) and investing in income properties, which he continues to the present. 

Sam was initiated into Masonry in Royal Prince of Wales Lodge No 867(UGLE) in Port of Spain, Trinidad in 1983, installed as Worshipful Master of Defenders Lodge No 590 in 1991 and elected as District Deputy Grand Master of Ottawa District 2 in 1998-99. He is a charter member of Millenium Lodge and Past Master of Atomic Daylight Lodge No 686 in 2004 and Past Master of Luxor Daylight Lodge No 741 in 2007. 

He was elected to the Board of Directors of the Masonic Foundation of Ontario in 2001, serving as Vice-President for 2 years and subsequently served as President for 5 years. He was appointed an Honorary Member of the Board of General Purposes from 2004-2009. After stepping down as President in July of 2009, he was appointed to the Board of General Purposes of Grand Lodge for a two-year term.

Ronald Kenneth Campbell (1999 - 2004)

Ronald Kenneth Campbell, President of the Foundation from 1999 to 2004, was born in Ottawa in 1935, where he received his elementary and secondary school education. He graduated from Queen's University in 1959 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering and became a Certified Management Accountant in 1967. After two years of highway design with C. C. Parker & Associates in Hamilton following graduation, he returned to Ottawa in 1961 to join the Federal Public Service, where he spent 36 years with Public Works, National Health and Welfare and the Treasury Board Secretariat, before retiring in September 1997. He was the recipient of the Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada in recognition of his contribution to the community.

Ron was Initiated into St. Andrew's Lodge No. 560, Ottawa, in 1961, Installed as Worshipful Master in June 1976 and elected District Deputy Grand Master of Ottawa District 1 in 1982. He is a Charter Member of Millennium Lodge No. 743, holding the Office of Assistant Historian, and joined Luxor Daylight Lodge No. 741 in 2002. He was elected a Director of the Masonic Foundation in July 1988 and served as a member of its management team until 2004, including Liaison Officer with VOICE for Hearing Impaired Children from 1990 to 1995. He was appointed a Member of the Grand Lodge Board of General Purposes from 1990 to 1995 and an Honorary Member from 1995 to 2005, participating on various Committees, including serving as Chairman of the Committee on Long Range Planning from 1995 to 1999.

Harvey Neil Britton (1996 - 1999)

Harvey Neil Britton, President of the Foundation from 1996 to 1999 was born in Toronto in 1930. His home was in the village of Newcastle, where he received his elementary and secondary school education. Following graduation from Bowmanville High School, Neil attended the University Of Toronto, graduating in 1954 with a B.A.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering. He was employed by Ontario Hydro for ten years, prior to working thirty years for the Belleville Utilities Commission, from which he retired in 1994 as General Manager and Secretary. While with the Commission he was active in provincial bodies, being President of the Electrical Utilities Safety Association in 1976 and the Association of Municipal Utilities (of Ontario) in 1978. He has been active in his community; in Scouting and is a Past President of: the Canadian Cancer Society (Belleville Unit), the Canadian Red Cross Society (Quinte Branch) and the Rotary Club of Belleville. He has served various offices in his church and is currently a member and Trustee of Bridge Street United Church.

Neil was Initiated into Durham Lodge No. 66 in Newcastle in 1951 by a Father and Son Degree Team of which his Father was Master. In 1959 he affiliated with Eureka Lodge No. 283 in Belleville and served as Worshipful Master in 1967 and 2005. While serving as Master in 1967 he presented his Father, Harvey, with his 50 years a Past Master pin. He was District Deputy Grand Master of Prince Edward District in 1984 and served 15 years on the Board of General Purposes; having been appointed in 1988, elected in 1990, appointed an Honorary Member in 1997 and retiring from the Board in 2003. He was a Director of The Masonic Foundation of Ontario from 1989 to 2000. In 2003 Neil was honoured with the Grand Masters Award for Distinguished Service.

Thomas John Arthur (1994 - 1996)

Thomas John Arthur, President of the Foundation from 1994 to 1996, was born in Toronto in 1917. Jack also holds the distinction of being Secretary Treasurer of the Foundation from 1975 until 1991. Jack, as he was known to his many friends, after graduating from high school, together with his two brothers, began his career in the butchers shop which was established by his Father. The family built a plant in Leaside, and the business, which was to become the largest meat processing operation in the Toronto area. When the business was sold to Kraft Foods in 1972, he completed his business career as the Administrator at the C.N.I.B. Jack was a lifelong member of Leaside United Church, serving in many capacities through the years.

He was Initiated in Caledonia Lodge No. 637, Toronto, in 1945 and became its Master in 1955. He was the District Deputy Grand Master of Toronto District B-1 in 1959. He was an appointed Member of the Board of General Purposes from 1975 to 1980 and served as an Honorary Member from 1980 to 1987. In 1987 he received the high distinction of being made an Honorary Rank of Past Grand Master.

Wallace Edmond McLeod (1993 - 1994)

Wallace Edmond McLeod, President of the Foundation from 1993 to 1994, was born in East York, Ontario, in 1931. After graduation from Scarborough Collegiate Institute (now called R. H. King Academy), he attended Victoria College in the University of Toronto, graduating in 1953 with a degree in Classics (Greek and Latin). Then he proceeded to Harvard University, earning his Masters degree (1954) and his Ph.D. (1966). He spent two years in Greece, studying archaeology as a Fellow of the American School of Classical Studies in Athens (1957 - 1959). Then, after brief sessions of teaching at Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut (1955 - 1956), University of British Columbia (1959 - 1961), and University of Western Ontario (1961 - 1962), he returned to his alma mater, Victoria College, where he taught Ancient Greek Language and Literature from 1962 until his retirement in 1996.

Wallace was Initiated into Freemasonry in his Fathers lodge, Mizpah, No. 572, G.R.C., in 1952, and served as W.M. in 1969. He was a member of the Board of General Purposes of Grand Lodge for ten years (1972 - 1982), and then an Honorary Member (1989 - 1993). Every year since 1980 (except for five years) he has been appointed as Grand Historian. He was a Director of the Masonic Foundation of Ontario (1976 - 1995), and Chairman of its Committee on Bursaries (1981 - 1995). He served as W.M. of the premier lodge of research, Quatuor Coronati, No. 2076, in London (1982), the first North American to be so honoured. He was President of the Philalethes Society, the oldest Masonic Research body in the U.S.A. (1992), the first person from outside the States to hold that position. Over the years he has written or edited fourteen books, and hundreds of articles and book reviews, dealing with Greek literature, archaeology, and Freemasonry.

Alan Newton Newell (1992 - 1993)

Alan Newton Newell, President of the Foundation from 1992 to 1993, was born in Hamilton, in 1924. Alan served for twenty-five years as a member of the Masonic Foundation of Ontario, devoting many years to understanding and promoting the research into hearing impairment being conducted at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children that is funded by the Foundation. The son of a Doctor, he served with the Canadian Army in 1944 and 1945. Alan graduated from the University of Toronto in 1949 and was a member of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons since 1954. He started a private medical practice in Brantford in 1954 and was a Past President of the Medical Staff and a past Chief of Medicine at the Brantford General Hospital. Dr. Newell instituted the I.C.U. and C.C.U. as head of internal medicine at the Brantford hospital. Highly respected in the Ontario medical community, he was a Past Chairman and member of the Pharmacy Committee of the Ontario Medical Association, a past member of the Drug Quality and Therapeutic Committee of the Province of Ontario, and an Honorary Life Member of the O.M.A.

Dr. Newell was initiated into Ozias Lodge No. 508 Brantford in 1958 and served as its Worshipful Master in 1967. He Affiliated with Hillcrest Lodge No. 594, Hamilton and King Solomon Lodge No. 329, Jarvis. He was elected Grand Senior Warden in 1979, and served as an elected member of the Board of General Purposes of Grand Lodge from 1981 - 1987. Alan served as a member of the Board of Management of Grace Anglican Church, Brantford and enjoyed curling, hiking and reading. He was an invaluable resource as a Masonic mentor and a tireless worker in Masonic benevolence.

Christopher John Woodburn (1990 - 1992)

Christopher John Woodburn, President of the Foundation from 1990 to 1992, was born in Toronto. He attended Etobicoke Collegiate and the University of Toronto. His business career has been spent in the sales and marketing management area and since 1973 has run C.J. Woodburn and Associates, a franchise consulting company. Prior to becoming President, John served as a Director of the Foundation since 1980. He chaired the first major fundraising drive for the Foundation, Project H.E.L.P. in 1978.

John was Initiated into Kingsway Lodge No. 655 in 1963, he was installed as Worshipful Master in 1970 and elected District Deputy Grand Master of Toronto 2 District in 1974. He was subsequently elected to the Board of General Purposes in 1978 and served continuously until 1997 except for a leave of absence for three years. John Affiliated with Melita Lodge No. 605 where he served as Master in 2002 and is an Honorary Member of Transportation Lodge No. 583. During this time he worked on and chaired a variety of Committees and Grand Lodge Publications.

Norval Richard Richards (1986 - 1990)

Norval Richard Richards, President of the Foundation from 1986 to 1990, was born in Kinlough, Ontario, in 1916. He spent his boyhood years on his Fathers farm near the town of Lucknow, in Bruce County. He received his early education in the public schools of Bruce County and in Lucknow High School. He holds the degree of Bachelor of Agricultural Science from the Ontario Agricultural College (at the time affiliated with the University of Toronto), and obtained his Master of Science from Michigan State University. He received an honorary degree of Doctor of Science from laval University, Quebec, in 1967. He worked for the federal Department of Agriculture for thirteen years; and since that time he has been associated with the University of Guelph in teaching, research and administrative capacities. His chosen area of interest was land resource science. He was Professor and Chairman of the Soil Science Department for eleven years and for ten years as the first Dean of the Ontario Agricultural College under the University of Guelph. In 1974 he was elected President of the Agricultural Institute of Canada.

He was a member of Dublin Street United Church, Guelph. He was Initiated in Waverley Lodge No. 361, Guelph in 1943 and was its Master in 1952 and 1953. He was District Secretary in 1956, and was appointed Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies in 1957. He was elected to the Board of General Purposes in 1965 and served until 1977, being Chairman of the Committee on Masonic Education from 1969 to 1977. He was elected Deputy Grand Master in 1977 and Grand Master in 1979. He served as Custodian of the Work from 1984 until 1995.

William Kirk Bailey (1974 - 1986)

William Kirk Bailey, President of the Foundation from 1974 to 1986, was born in Harold, Hastings County, in 1904. After elementary education in a rural school, and secondary education at Stirling High School, he taught for one year at a rural school in North Hastings. He graduated from Toronto Normal School in 1924, and from then until 1970 he served as a teacher, principal and administrator in Toronto elementary and secondary schools, except for one year (1930 - 1931), which he spent at Queens University, to complete an Honours B.A. in Chemistry and Biology. He taught at John Fisher Public School (1924 - 1930), Oakwood Collegiate Institute (1931 - 1944), was Department Head at Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute (1944 - 1946), Vice Principal at Bloor Collegiate Institute (1946 - 1947), and Principal of Riverdale (1947 - 1957) and Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute ((1957 - 1964); then Assistant Superintendent (Personnel) of Secondary Schools (1964 - 1970). At various times in the latter years he had been delegated to study school systems in the Soviet Union, Germany and Holland, and to recruit teachers in England, Scotland, New Zealand and Australia.

As a member of St. Georges United Church, he belonged to the Board of Stewards and the Session. He was Initiated in Stirling Lodge No. 69 in 1925, and Affiliated with the Bay of Quinte Lodge No. 620, Toronto, in 1932, becoming its Master in 1943. In 1950 he was District Deputy Grand Master of Toronto District B. He was appointed to the Board of General Purposes in 1959, and elected two years later, serving as Chairman of the Committee on Masonic Education, from 1960 to 1969. He was elected Deputy Grand Master in 1969, and Grand Master in 1971. He was Custodian of the Work from 1973 to 1984. He was President of the Masonic Relief Association of the United States and Canada in 1981 - 1983.

Albert Clifford Ashforth (1968 - 1974)

Albert Clifford Ashforth, President of the Foundation from 1968 to 1974, was born in 1893. He joined the Bank of Hamilton as a junior clerk in 1909, and in 1910 he joined the Dominion Bank. In the 1950s he was the General Manager of the Dominion Bank; and when the new Toronto-Dominion Bank was formed in February 1955, he was the first President, retiring in 1960.

He served on the Board of Regents of Victoria University in the University of Toronto from September 1960 to September 1974, as a representative of the General Council of the United Church of Canada. He was Initiated into Masonry in Zetland Lodge No. 326, Toronto, in 1919. He was a Charter Member of Rowland Lodge No. 646, Mount Albert, in 1927 and was its Master in 1931. He was appointed Grand Director of Ceremonies in 1950; and was a member of the Board of General Purposes from 1953 to 1964, and an Honorary Member from 1964 to 1986, serving as Chairman of the Committee on Audit and Finance from 1970 to 1975. In 1971, the honorary rank of Past Grand Senior Warden was bestowed on him.

Russell Williams Treleaven (1964 - 1968)

Russell Williams Treleaven (1887 - 1970) was the first President of the Foundation. He was born in London, Ontario in 1887. He attended public schools at Aylmer and Brantford, and went on to Central Collegiate in Hamilton and Parkdale Collegiate, Toronto. As a young man he was the winner of three Public Speaking Contests, two in the Methodist Young Mens Association in Toronto and one in the Canadian Club, Hamilton. Following his high school education he studied law at Osgoode Hall, Toronto, from which he graduated in 1913. That same year he went to Hamilton. He was called to the Bar in 1914, and at first took up practice with the firm of Bigger and Treleaven. Later, with his brother Freeman (who served as Mayor of Hamilton in 1926 and 1927), he formed the law firm of Treleaven and Treleaven. He was appointed a Kings Counsel in 1937. He became a Justice of the Supreme Court of Ontario in 1946, a position which he filled for fifteen years until his retirement in 1961. He received the honorary degree of Doctor of Sacred Letters from Victoria University, Toronto, in 1956.

For ten years he was elected to the Board of Education for Hamilton, and once held the office of Chairman. He was one of the founders of the Optimist Club in Hamilton in 1924, was the clubs first President and later was elected District Governor. He was twice President of the Hamilton Automobile Club, in 1926 and again in 1944, after serving for many years as a Director of the club. He was also a Director of the Ontario Motor League.

He was an active member of the Ryerson United Church in Hamilton serving as a leader and teacher of the Young Mens Bible Class there from 1916 to 1940. In 1918 he was a delegate to the General Conference of the Methodist Church and was elected to each General Conference until Church Union. He was one of the Committee of Forty that negotiated the basis of the union that brought into being the United Church of Canada in 1925. He then became a member of the general Council of the new church and a member of its executive in 1925, Chairman of the Missionary and Maintenance Committee in 1931 and served in both capacities until his appointment to the Supreme Court in 1946.

He was Initiated into Acacia Lodge No. 61, Hamilton, in 1919, and became its Master in 1937. He was District Deputy Grand Master of Hamilton District B in 1942, was elected to the Board of General Purposes from 1945 to 1951, and was appointed an Honorary Member of the Board in 1951, a position that he held until 1959. He served as Chairman of the Committee on Grievances and Appeals from 1945 to 1951. He was elected Deputy Grand Master in 1959 and Grand Master in 1961. M.W. Bro. Treleaven died on January 14, 1970 in Stoney Creek.